(Viewing our pages on a smart phone or other smaller screened device? Consider turning to "landscape viewing" - Thanks)
Start your engines - here are the details for the 2015 Thunderbird District Pinewood Derby:
Location: Suburban Auto Group 37000 U.S. 26 #100 Sandy, OR 97055
Date:Saturday - May 2nd, 2015
The Thunderbird District Pinewood Derby will be held at the Suburban Auto Group in Sandy, Or. on May 3rd during the Second Annual BIG CRUISE IN OF 2014. This is a huge and exciting event with up to 600 hot rods, custom cars, muscle cars, motorcycles and antique cars and trucks on display. Our Scouting families will have the opportunity to view all of these special vehicles at no charge. There will be vendors of food and other items there as well.
The district race will take place in the service bay on the Ford side of the lots. This will be a great time for the public to see the Cub Scouts racing and visiting with the participants of the Cruise In. DO YOUR BEST to represent the Scouting program. The Thunderbird District is very fortunate to have the District race as part of this great event. Come prepared to spend the day and have a great time!
There is no parking in the Suburban Auto Group Lots. Parking is along hwy. 26, on Industrial Way, in the Bi-Mart parking lot, Safeway parking lot and Fred Meyer Parking lot.
Expect to do a bit of walking.
Who is gets to participate in the District race?
First and second place from each age group in the pack.
Example: two Tigers, two Wolves etc. Small packs can enter all Cubs in the pack. Webelos 2's who have crossed over to a troop can still race in the Webelos 2's category.
OPEN CLASS is open to all comers. Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, neighbors and the neighbors dog. I think you get the idea, anyone and everyone.
Here is the schedule for the race.
- Registration starts at 8:00 AM (Tiger Cubs will be given first priority since they race first :-)
- Tigers race at 9:00 AM,
- Wolves race at 10:00 AM
- Bears race at 11:00 AM
- Lunch break 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM
- Webelos 1 race at 12:30 PM
- Webelos 2 race at 1:00 PM
- Championship race at 1:30 PM
- Champion Trophy Presentation at 2:00 PM
- Open Class race at 2:30 PM.
Pre-registration helps speed up the race set up process tremendously! It allows us to begin entering racers into the derby software prior to race day - Please consider pre-registering by having a pack leader pre-register all of the participants from your pack as a group.
Registrations will be taken on race day at check in so as not to exclude any Cub Scout or Open class racer. However Pre-registration is greatly appreciated.
Registration fees will be collected at the check in table the day of race. Exact cash amount or check please.
CHECK IN NO LATER THEN 20 MINUTES BEFORE RACE TIME! PREFERABLY EARLIER!
OFFICIAL BSA PINEWOOD DERBY RULES
- All cars must pass inspection in order to participate.
- The Pinewood Derby car must have been made during the same year the derby is held.
- The width of the car shall not exceed 2 3/4 inches.
- The length of the car body shall not exceed 7 inches.
- There needs to be 3/8ths of an inch clearance under the car body.
- Install weights in body.
- The weight of the car shall not exceed 5 ounces.
- A dry lubricant must be used to lubricate the axles and wheels.
- No liquid lubricants.
- Axles, wheels and body wood shall be as provided in the official BSA derby kit.
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
- The car shall not ride on any kind of spring.
- All add ons to the car must be within length, width, and weight limits.
- The car must be freewheeling with no starting devices or motors.
- No loose materials of any kind are allowed in or on the car body.
- The official race number must be clearly marked on the car.
ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE THUNDERBIRD DISTRICT RACE
- Pre-made or pre-prepared derby cars and car parts (example: speed axles and wheels) are not to be purchased from any source and used for the District Race. This violates the purpose and spirit of the Pinewood Derby.
- The adult-child team shall prepare together a derby car using the components as provided in an official BSA Pinewood Derby kit.
- Additional Official BSA wheel and axle kits can be used to provide a larger selection or for the use of colored wheels.
- Only current official BSA wheels and axles may be used.
- Wheels can be sanded and polished but the tread area of the wheel must remain flat.
- No rounded or pointed treads, No modifications to the tread area of the tire are allowed beyond the sanding and polishing.
- No portion or part of the derby car shall project ahead of the starting pin on the track.
- An extended wheel base, not to exceed 7 inches, is allowed for the District Race. (Check your pack rules.)
- A raised wheel is allowed for the District Race. (Check your pack rules.)
- The use of the axles slots in the body block is not required for the District Race. Drilled holes for axle placement are allowed. (Check your pack rules.)
- The District Race official weigh scale(s) will be used to determine the weight of the car at inspection time. Excess weight must be removed from the car body to be eligible to race. No exceptions. Please do not argue with the race official.
- A dimensions measurement box will be used to measure the derby car. Please do not argue with the race official.
- Open class is open to anyone who wishes to build a derby car and race.
- Open class derby cars must adhere to the same requirements for dimensions, weight, components, and assembly.
- A racer who has a derby car that does not pass the pre-race inspection will be given the opportunity to correct the problem(s).
- Any violations of rules found during, or after a race will disqualify the derby car.
- Passing the pre-race inspection does not protect the derby car from disqualification for violation of the rules.
- There will be no opportunity to correct the violations during race times. The derby car will need to be permanently disqualified -so take advantage of the check-in process to ensure your car meets specifications -
Thanks for reading and HAVE FUN!!!
) with information on what needs updating. Thanks
page last reviewed and/or updated on: 04/21/2015