Horizon Air / Alaska Airlines Aviation Day
In cooperation with Horizon/Alaska Airlines, earning your Aviation merit badge is easier than ever. Come out for the fourth annual Aviation Day for the chance to learn the basics of aviation by exploring the principles of flight, aircraft instrumentation, airport and hanger facilities, and local career opportunities. This is an annual Meriting With the Experts event held in May. Admission is limited to 156 Scouts.
Guided by Horizon Air, Alaska Airlines, and Scouting volunteers, Scouts will be able to "kick the tires", see the wheel wells with mechanics, and view the flight deck of a DASH 8-Q400. Scouts will look into the guts of a Turbo Prop engine and take a tour of Portland International Airport with current experts in the field.
The Aviation merit badge event will provide the opportunity for Scouts to learn first-hand about career paths in the aviation industry from becoming a flight attendant to air traffic controller. Pilots and engineers will teach flight principles through the construction of a flying model aircraft. Pilots will be on-site with their light aircraft to educate and afford an up-close cockpit experience.
The aviation event is open to registered Scouts and venturers, ages 12 and older. This event is aimed at inspiring aviation dreams in Scouting youth. The 2014 Aviation Merit Badge Event is a one-day event with longer hours.
The 2014 Aviation Merit Badge Event Registration is now open.
Space is limited; by registering you are making an honorary commitment to remain in attendance the entire day. Any Scout who has afternoon sports, practices, games, or other conflicting commitments on May 17, 2014 SHOULD NOT REGISTER for this year’s event.
Scout: Registration will be open to the first 156 Scouts. Registration is done online.
Wait List: Scout registration # 157 – 172 will be placed on a Wait List. You will be notified of your status.
Registration Fee is $15.00 per Scout – No Refunds (Link to Registration)
Scouts with Special Needs: If a Scout has special needs, please register through the registration link. If the parent needs to accompany the Scout with special needs, please contact the Program Chair, Greg Hawes to make special arrangements.
Adult Scout Leaders: Registration will be open to the first 13 adult Scout leaders. Registration is done online only starting on March 13, 2014.
Wait List: adult Scout leaders registration # 14-18 will be placed on a Wait List. You will be notified of your status.
• Registration fee is free for adult Scout leaders (Link to Registration)
• Each adult leader registering is volunteering to oversee a patrol for the event day and must meet the following requirements – which will be verified:
o Be a registered adult Scout leader in good standing (no Institute Heads)
o Youth Protection Training is current
o Wear your Scout uniform
o Is agreeing to be the adult leader with a patrol for the day. It's possible that you may not be assigned with members from your unit.
REQUIRED TO ENTER the event on May 17th:
Each Scout is REQUIRED to bring both of the following:
• Permission/Release form signed by your parents/guardian. (Download Here)
• ‘Blue Card’ – (Application for Merit Badge #34124) signed by your Scoutmaster or designated unit leader. This is a requirement from the National office. (See Guide to Advancement 18.104.22.168). Ask your Scoutmaster for your Blue Card after you have received registration confirmation for the 2014 event. Print and take your registration confirmation to your Scoutmaster.
• Workbook (Download Here)
Merit Badge Completion
The Aviation Merit Badge is very technical and challenging to earn in one day. We do not require that the Scouts complete any of the requirements in advance of the event, however, we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE the Scouts to obtain, read and be familiar with the contents of the Aviation merit badge book -- specifically, the information for requirements 1a – 1e. This will provide the Scouts with the best possible opportunity to complete the merit badge at the event.
Event Hours: 7:00am – 6:30pm
Check-In: 7:00 AM – 8:00 AM
(For security reasons – any Scout arriving after 8:00am will not be admitted to the event)
Program: 8:15 AM – 4:30 PM
Merit Badge Counseling: 4:45 – 6:30pm
• Merit badge counseling will be provided in the classroom section of the Operations Center. Scouts will be on an assigned schedule.
• Scouts will also have the opportunity to return to the static displays before and after their assigned merit badge counseling time.
• Scouts who chose to leave at 4:30 PM will be given merit badge counselor contact information. Once the Scout checks out of the building, they may not re-enter.
• Scouts who choose to participate in the merit badge counseling portion are free to leave when they have finished.
Scouts must bring a brown bag lunch and beverage – NO lunch will be served.
Snacks: Snack coupons will be provided in each registration folder and may be used in the hanger portion of the program only.
Contact Greg Hawes, Planning Committee Chair @