Horizon Air / Alaska Airlines Aviation Day
In cooperation with Horizon/Alaska Airlines, earning your Aviation merit badge is easier than ever. Come out for the fifth annual Aviation Day for the chance to learn the basics of aviation by exploring the principles of flight, aircraft instrumentation, airport and hanger facilities, and local career opportunities. This is an annual Meriting With the Experts event held in May. Admission is limited to 150 Scouts.
Guided by Horizon Air, Alaska Airlines, and Scouting volunteers, Scouts will be able to "kick the tires", see the wheel wells with mechanics, and view the flight deck of a DASH 8-Q400. Scouts will look into the guts of a Turbo Prop engine and take a tour of Portland International Airport with current experts in the field.
The Aviation merit badge event will provide the opportunity for Scouts to learn first-hand about career paths in the aviation industry from becoming a flight attendant to air traffic controller. Pilots and engineers will teach flight principles through the construction of a flying model aircraft. Pilots will be on-site with their light aircraft to educate and afford an up-close cockpit experience.
The aviation event is open to registered Scouts and venturers, ages 12 and older. This event is aimed at inspiring aviation dreams in Scouting youth. The 2015 Aviation Merit Badge Event is a two-day even, Friday evening, May 15th AND Saturday, May 16th. This is NOT an overnight event.
The 2015 Aviation Merit Badge Event Registration will open March 14th at 12:01AM.
Space is limited; by registering you are making an honorary commitment to remain in attendance the entire day. Any Scout who has afternoon sports, practices, games, or other conflicting commitments on May 16, 2015 SHOULD NOT REGISTER for this year’s event.
Scout: Registration will be open to the first 150 Scouts. Registration is done online.
Wait List: Scout registration # 151 – 171 will be placed on a Wait List. You will be notified of your status.
Registration Fee is $15.00 per Scout – No Refunds (Link to Registration)
Scouts with Special Needs: If a Scout has special needs, please register through the registration link. If the parent needs to accompany the Scout with special needs, please contact the Program Chair, John McAleer to make special arrangements.
REQUIRED TO ENTER the event on May 15th:
Each Scout is REQUIRED to bring both of the following:
• Permission/Release form signed by your parents/guardian. (Download Here)
• ‘Blue Card’ – (Application for Merit Badge #34124) signed by your Scoutmaster or designated unit leader. This is a requirement from the National office. (See Guide to Advancement 188.8.131.52). Ask your Scoutmaster for your Blue Card after you have received registration confirmation for the 2015 event. Print and take your registration confirmation to your Scoutmaster.
• Workbook (Download Here)
Merit Badge Completion
The Aviation Merit Badge is very technical and challenging to earn in one day. We do not require that the Scouts complete any of the requirements in advance of the event, however, we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE the Scouts to obtain, read and be familiar with the contents of the Aviation merit badge book -- specifically, the information for requirements 1a – 1e. This will provide the Scouts with the best possible opportunity to complete the merit badge at the event.
Friday, May 15, 2015 6:00PM-9:30PM
Check-In: 6:00PM – 6:30PM
(For security reasons – any Scout arriving after 6:30PM Friday and 9:30AM Saturday will not be admitted to the event)
Program: 6:30PM - 9:30PM (Aviation 101 and Charting classes)
9:30PM Depart for home
Saturday, May 16, 2015, 9:00AM to 4:00PM
Check-In: 9:00AM - 9:30AM (Career Day, Airport Tour, Preflight, Model Building, & MB Counseling)
Merit Badge Counseling: 1:00PM - 4:00PM
• Merit badge counseling will be provided in the classroom section of the Operations Center. Scouts may start merit badge counseing as early as 1:00PM, if ready. As Scouts become ready after 2:00PM, they will be placed in a queue waiting for the next available merit badge counselor. It is the reponsibility of the Scout to place his name in the queue for Merit Badge Counseling.
• The hanger deck and static displays will be cleared beginning at 3:00PM.
• Scouts who earn a partial Blue Card, will be given Merit Badge Counselor contact information.
• Scouts who choose to participate in the Merit Badge Counseling portion are free to leave when they have finished. Once the Scout checks out of the building, they may not re-enter.
Ample parking is available at the Horizon Operations Center.
Scouts must bring a brown bag lunch and beverage – NO lunch will be served.
Snacks: Snack coupons will be provided in each registration folder and may be used in the hanger portion of the program only.
Contact John McAleer, Planning Committee Chair @